Sunday, May 17, 2020

Webster Young

I've become a huge fan in the last year of Jazz trumpet. I would much rather hear a trumpet than a saxophone ….. and that's considering that John Coltrane is my all-time favorite Jazz artist.

I don't actually have this in my collection. (Yet anyway.) Listening to it via YouTube. I love the muted trumpet on this. But what really grabbed my attention and shouted, LISTEN TO ME!!! ….. is the cover artwork. A search is underway to find this on vinyl. Compact disc is not good enough for this beautiful cover photograph!!!

From 1957, which I read somewhere recently is considered as the greatest year ever for Jazz recordings.

Melodic, beautiful and soulful!! A very enjoyable listen. There's a sense of sitting in a Jazz club, taking this in.

On the Prestige Records label, which is right there with Blue Note Records when it comes/came to consistently great Jazz recordings and cover art.

All Music Guide Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...