Saturday, May 23, 2020

Big Band Jazz Radio

A few years ago, I stumbled across this treasure trove of  recordings of old radio programs in an antique shop. There were nine or ten records in the bins. I knew nothing about them but the price was good so I took a chance on one, loved it and quickly returned to purchase the others. Shortly later, I discovered three or four more records from the series in my local record store.

Live recordings of Big Band Jazz and Swing from the 1930's and 40's on the Hindsight Records label. I think there's a few from 1950's programs as well. There's an announcer introducing each song which gives the feeling of sitting around a radio in those years, possibly on a Saturday or Sunday evening ..... Maybe a glimpse into what my parents and grandparents life may have been like.

Mono recordings. Interesting liner and song notes on the back side of each album cover. Part of my awakening in recent years into styles other than the music I grew up with. Sometimes the search for vinyl records leads to great discoveries. History!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...