Sunday, May 3, 2020

Rolling Thunder Revue

There's almost 150 cuts and 633 minutes of music and chatter. Purchased this almost a year ago and because I've been attempting to be a Dylan completist, I felt called to pursue the entire collection of recordings. I initially tried to resist but that didn't work out so well. I'm finally breaking into these treasures tonight. Old memories of youth returning like it was just a short time ago. I look at something like this and have no idea where to start. The beginning seems too obvious. So I'm starting with the last disc in the collection.

I've always been fascinated with this period because Dylan was just coming off his album 'Blood On The Tracks' which I had gone through my Freshman year of college being obsessed with. At the time, the live recordings from this tour seemed like a letdown in comparison. Thankfully I see things much differently now. Time and history eventually break down misguided opinions.

I marvel at the thought that it's been almost half a century since these shows took place and that I was around at the time. These shows were all in the northeastern U.S. and Canada. I don't recall if Dylan passed through my Oregon on this tour. Amazing stuff!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...