Saturday, February 7, 2015

Today's Vinyl Jazz Discoveries

An afternoon stop at my local record store. Seems to be a Jazz kind of day. Lured in by the liner notes, song notes and album cover artwork of each.

  • Don Shirley - Drown In My Own Tears
  • Jimmy Lunceford and His Orchestra
  • Clark Terry / Bob Brookmeyer Quintet - The Power of Positive Swinging

Then listening to the "Divaville" Jazz program on KMHD-radio, Gresham, Oregon ..... Dedicated to exploring Jazz Vocal recordings primarily from the 1930's-1960's years. Great voices heard here!! Despite the news and rumors over the past decade that it's dying, there's still good sounds to be heard on the radio.

Divaville Radio
KMHD Jazz Radio

In the liner notes ..... "One index of the singular pleasures to be had from the music of the Clark Terry - Bob Brookmeyer Quintet is that it not so much defies categories but rather ignores them."

I wonder occasionally that if it wasn't for myself, would some of these records ever be taken home?  I often declare, "No more!" ..... but then a week or two later, I'm back searching through the vinyl bins. There always seems to be something previously un-noticed. It's my addiction I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...