Monday, February 9, 2015

Thinking Of An Old Friend Tonight


For my old buddy Mitch (Rest in Peace), who's favorite band was the original lineup of Little Feat. Bill Payne providing the vocals here. Hope you are hearing this tonight Mitch!!

Mitch lost his battle with cancer a little over a year ago. Though he shattered the timeline given him by the doctors. I'll never forget the time that I had came across and purchased an old Victrola record player. The only problem ..... I had no 78's to play on it. One day there was a knock on my door. It was Mitch with an armful of pitch black 78rpm records that he had saved for years from his parents collection. There must have been forty or fifty records in his arms. A thing of beauty!! Most worn and scratched but there were several keepers among the stack. Even if there had been none though, it was the thought that mattered.

Mitch was a huge fan of the groups original leader and main voice, Lowell George. Another who passed away far too soon. He loved the groups music from the 1970's and was extremely loyal to the band that he knew. When they broke up in the early 1980's and then got back together at the end of the decade, he had no interest in the new band. Even despite all major efforts on my part to demonstrate that the re-formed group was worthy of listening to and that Craig Fuller's voice even somewhat resembled Lowell George's. There was no Lowell George so it wasn't really Little Feat as far as he was concerned. Some people are just not replaceable. I didn't understand his attitude at the time but I do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...