Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Just Another Mood Inspired Tuesday Evening Playlist

A little slice of Americana on a Tuesday night. Inspired mostly while searching for a better alternative for the evening. By a need to turn off the mind numbing noise on television. Changing the channel didn't seem to help for this moment in time ....

  • Bruce Hornsby & Ricky Skaggs - Gulf of Mexico Fishing Boat Blues
  • Arlo Guthrie - Deportees .... Written by his Father which always adds a little extra feeling to the listening experience. I imagine to the playing experience of the performer as well.
  • Rosanne Cash - Motherless Children
  • Robert Earl Keen - I Gotta Go
  • Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band with Gillian Welch & David Rawlings - So Good .... I once saw Gillian Welch and David Rawlings doing an in-store show at Music Millennium in Portland. Well I didn't really "see" them during the actual performance. I was there, was even firmly planted in a good viewing spot, or so I thought. But second by second got inched out of my spot by people arriving. When the show started it was so crowded and I was so far away from my original perch that I couldn't see a thing. Heard them play though. And when it was all over they walked right by me as they departed. Though I didn't realize it until they were past. I could have said hello but too late. 
  • Justin Townes Earle - Can't Hardly Wait .... Saw him end a concert at Mississippi Studios in Portland with this tune. Covering an old Replacements song. Seemed at the time like the greatest ending ever!!!
  • Loudon Wainwright III - Motel Blues .... He appears in some of the earliest episodes of M.A.S.H. as "Spalding" He was in three episodes of season three, guitar in hand if memory serves.
  • The Seldom Scene - Wait a Minute .... Old classic Folk/Country/Bluegrass/Americana. Not sure what to label it besides a great song. 
  • Chris Pureka - Swann Song .... "But you just learn to love the little things, I've lived long enough to know. And I'm still waving from this front porch and this is still my swan song."
  • Freedy Johnston - Wichita Lineman .... Another time proven classic song and for myself, a Desert Island Disc song. 
  • Eliza Gilkyson - The Beauty Way
  • The Naked and Famous - Young Blood ..... It just came up and I started listening. Searching for a way to connect it to Americana. Hmmmm, parts of it remind of Kate Bush. Oh she's British you say. Well I suppose that could be considered real early Americana. 
  • Iggy and the Stooges - Gimme Danger .... OK I'm officially headed in a different direction now with this playlist. You can't come around here and only expect to hear one genre. 
  • Joe Brown - That's The Way It Goes .... From "The Concert for George" (Harrison.) I love the George Harrison slide guitar sound on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...