Saturday, July 30, 2022

New Record Store In Town

It's about damn time!! 

Dreams do come true!!

There's a new record store in town. It's not a huge shop but my initial visit showed an interesting selection with a promise of more arriving soon. It's a start. It's what I've been hoping for  ..... well for over two years now. A place to get lost for a few minutes when needed.

What I came away with, all on vinyl:

  • Clifton Chenier - Black Snake Blues (1967)
  • The Ramsey Lewis Trio - The In Crowd  (1965)
  • Lu Watters Yerba Buena Jazz Band - The San Francisco Style: Stomps, Etc. & The Blues (1954) ..... Recordings from 1946.
  • Red Garland - Satin Doll (1983)
  • Gene Harris Trio - Live at Otter Crest (1981) .... Otter Crest is on the Oregon coast. From a summer jazz festival that I think, no longer exists.
  • Chris Connor - Chris In Person (1960) .... Live recordings from a great voice.
Not the most well-known titles but I've always loved finding the lesser known, more obscure titles. 

Heavy on the Jazz sounds with a little Zydeco mixed in. As always, interesting cover photography and sleeve spines in decent shape are important to the decision to purchase. 
                                                                            

The Gene Harris recording is especially intriguing to me because it was recorded live at the Oregon Coast. And it's autographed as well. 



A couple of the records are promotional copies which is something the truly serious and dedicated vinyl collecting nerds, dorks and geeks are always happy to stumble upon. 

I was happy with my haul. but even more ecstatic with the discovery of a new local record store. And in a cool location on the edge of downtown. 






Not all was joyful though. I did sigh a little while coming up empty when checking for the record that I've had on my radar of late. I've been obsessed lately with finding an original vinyl copy of 'The Nightfly' by Donald Fagan. I don't want to accept finding it online. I want to find it while flipping through bins of used records. There has to be one out there someplace. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...