Monday, February 21, 2022

Sunday Evening Playlist

There's no telling where this may lead. Another late night playlist of things I'm hearing, enabled by having to be no where except where I want to be, in the morning .... 

  • Kurt Vile - Like Exploding Stones .... New one to my ears. Over seven minutes of far out and groovy, finger tapping melody.
  • Todd Rundgren - I Saw the Light .... Seemed like a natural follow-up or pre-cursor to Kurt Vile.
Out of town yesterday, on a afternoon vinyl hunting excursion and I had a record in my hand, some late 1960's, psychedelic rock album .... Kind of a spendy title with a cool cover photo, which I put back in the bins, cleverly hiding it among titles from another genre and it dawns on me now that someone else will quickly stumble upon my hiding place, which I likely won't recall shall I return, but I wanted to do a little research prior to purchasing, but can't recall the band or the title. That's how I apparently roll at 66 ....and one day. 
  • John Doe - The Golden State .... I picked up the album this is on at a public library used book sale several years ago for a dollar, came home and put it in the cd player and ran off to do something else without hitting play. A few weeks later, I was listening to whatever was in line before this on the cd changer, the album concluded and this album and song started. I was like: "What the hell is this?" (In a good way.)
  • Dave Alvin - Nine Volt Heart .... "Plastic silver nine volt heart, you click it on and let the music start."
  • Joseph Arthur - Mercedes .... 1996 I think. It was a Saturday night, I'm sure of. I put on the headphones at a Borders Books listening station with no idea what I was about to hear. 
  • Kelly Joe Phelps - Crow's Nest .... I seem to return to this song every month.
  • Mimicking Birds - Burning Stars
  • The Jayhawks - Comeback Kids .... I've sung along enough times at home that they may as well have had me in the studio helping with backing vocals. 
  • The Choir - In Loves Shadow .... From a youtube video that popped up on my homepage one day. A compilation of "Garage Rock" from the 1960's. Mostly stuff I've never heard before.
  • Danny and the Counts - Ode to Wind .... From the same 60's Garage Rock compilation, mentioned above. A great discovery!! If I came across either of these on 45's vinyl, I'd snap them up in an instant. Might not even check the price. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...