Friday, February 11, 2022

Henry Franklin

"The Skipper," from 1972 by Jazz bassist, Henry Franklin. Originally released on Black Jazz Records and reissued in 2021 by Real Gone Music.

I had never heard of Henry Franklin prior to two weeks ago. It was late evening and I was thumbing through the coffee table book, "Dust & Grooves," .... about people and their vinyl record collections and came to the page with a devotee talking about completing his collection of 1970's, Black Jazz Records titles while displaying this record. A little research was the result, followed by a little sampling of sounds and a quick purchase. 

These titles from Black Jazz Records are not something that I ever see "in the wild," as the vinyl community folks like to say. So I've ordered four more records originally released by the label. 

As much as I'd like to have an original copy, the reissue sounds great and I love the cover design and photography. Included with the record is a two-sided, vinyl sleeve size sheet, of liner and song notes. Isn't that all that one really needs?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...