Monday, March 20, 2023

Art Blakey

Live recording from 1958. On compact disc. 

I really don't know much about jazz, its history and various styles. Oh sure, I know many of the names of the players and have a few where I search for their recordings, but I mostly sit and listen without attempting to analyze or describe what I'm hearing. I think I know swing when I hear it but the difference between bop and post-bop, I have no clue. 

I do know that Art Blakey is a drummer. And Lee Morgan, who is also on this recording, plays trumpet. 

I'm fascinated with the album cover photographs on jazz recordings from the 1950's and 60's. It's an art form that I wish were employed more often these days. If only producers, musicians and record labels felt the same about the everlasting power and beauty behind photographic images as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...