Monday, March 27, 2023

12-Tone Compositions

'12-Tone Compositions & Arrangements' by composer and band conductor, Lyle Murphy. From 1955 on Contemporary Records. 

I came across a vinyl copy just a few days ago. The cover caught my attention and nullified any initial hesitation upon discovering the participation of multiple saxophonists .... I've been attempting to get into other jazz sounds lately rather than saxophone dominated recordings. I enjoyed the listen though. 

My knowledge of jazz styles is basic and limited. I comprehend and interpret this as a cross between swing and bop. A short review found on the Dusty Groove website calls it: "A rare bit of mid 50's modernism."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...