Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Chicago Underground Trio

'Possible Cube' by Chicago Underground Trio. From 1999 on the Delmark Records label and on compact disc.

Cornet by Rob Mazurek weaving its way through various backgrounds of sonics, electronics, textures, soundwaves and atmospheres. Other members of the trio are Chad Taylor (percussion) and Noel Kupersmith (bass). Jeff Parker adds guitar and organ on three songs.

I found this recording, three years ago, at the Friends Store in the local public library for fifty cents. Drawn in by the cover photo. Sometimes the cover photo alone is all one needs. It let me know that this wasn't the usual jazz trio. This is avant-garde or free jazz and at times very minimalist.

Though I don't care for a steady diet, I find these sounds very interesting. It's funny how suddenly I am much more willing to sit down and listen to a recording like this, from start to finish, than I have ever been before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...