Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Phineas Is Back!!

The Phineas Newborn Trio - Look Out - Phineas Is Back!

From 1978 on the Pablo Records label. On vinyl. Piano Jazz.

The result of a spontaneous visit to the only remaining record store in Salem. The owner has three boxes on the floor of unpriced records. Mostly 'soft' Jazz titles that I'm not interested in but occasionally I've found gems in those boxes. So I'm flipping through the records and I suddenly come to this. One keeper hidden among all the elevator Jazz. There's a long wait while the store owner is doing research .... discogs I imagine, while he decides what he "wants to get for it." He finally quotes a price that fails to scare me off. He asks if I know of the musician. "A little bit"  I reply. As if he's not really wanting to sell it he says: "If you hate it, feel free to return it." So I'm thinking to myself that he's really eager to make a sale here. That he's really making his best effort to sell this record. Eventually I get out the door with it. 

I wonder what I may have missed in these boxes between my visits? These four or five found titles that I've come across on separate stops, were not there on my previous visits. It's like the owner replaces one title of interest with another. I never find two records in a single visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...