Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Just A Monday Night Playlist to End a Blah Day

Just going back in time for another late-night playlist. Not much of a thought process involved. Whatever comes to mind and what leads to what. As it should be .....
  • Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers
  • Big Country - We're Not In Kansas ..... Don't ask me to turn down the volume. Stuart Adamson left us far too soon.
  • China Crisis - Black Man Ray 
  • REM - It's the End of the World As We Know It ..... "and I feel fine."
  • Neil Young - Tell Me Why ..... Remembering a night long ago, three childhood friends, suddenly teenagers, sitting in a room, playing acoustic guitars and singing this song. Wish that moment didn't have to end.
  • Traveling Wilburys - Tweeter and the Monkey Man
  • Electric Light Orchestra - Show Down (It's Raining All Over the World) .... Because I heard a five second snippet of the violins or cellos, whatever they are, on the radio the other day, and suddenly had to hear the entire song.
  • Eric Burdon and the Animals - San Francisco Nights ..... Going way back here. My vinyl record collecting mentor used to play this song. It was his anthem. We'd play basketball and then go listen to records. I'm sure I lost a game or two on purpose, just so we could get to the records. A perfect day in my estimation. 
  • Arlo Guthrie - Motorcycle Song .... My radio roots. "I don't want a pickle, just want to ride my motorsickle." And tonight, I'm also listening to Arlo's explanation of: The Significance of the Pickle.  
I need to get to sleep but I also need one more song to make a ten song playlist. Because I don't know the definition of such but somewhere bouncing around in the back of my mind is the thought that you need at least ten songs for a proper playlist.
  • The Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays .... Once again, I'm late on arrival. I should have played this last night (Sunday). 
Bonus Song, or three. What led me to purchase my very first compact disc (Giant Steps by John Coltrane), and transition from vinyl around 1989 or 1990 was the concept of bonus tracks on cd's. .....
  • Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out ..... One of those that causes me to ache with nostalgia. 
  • General Public - Never You Done That .... Dave Wakeling and Ranking Roger. Oh Geez, this brings to mind being awake at 3am and watching MTV videos. Back in the days when MTV really played music videos. 
  • Level 42 - Something About You
I should mention, in case it's not obvious to anyone who pays a second's notice to my tweets, and to complete a thought above, that I eventually found my way back to vinyl. And while others love colored vinyl, I still think that black vinyl is one of the most beautiful visions in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...