Sunday, September 6, 2020

Pieces Of A Man

Gil Scott-Heron - 'Pieces Of a Man'

A recent vinyl find of this 1971 recording.

I think my introduction to his music was forty years ago with the 'No Nukes' benefit concert compilation and his contribution, 'We Almost Lost Detroit.'

Great lyricist. 

All Music Guide Review

"I saw my daddy greet the mailman                          And I heard the mailman say                                "Now don't you take this letter to heart now Jimmy      Cause they've laid off nine others today"                  He didn't know what he was saying                          He could hardly understand                                    That he was only talking to                                  Pieces of a man."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...