Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Giant Steps

John Coltrane's album, Giant Steps, was a transitional record for me but not in the way that one might think, though I do enjoy it's sounds. But it was the record where I made the switch from vinyl records to compact discs in 1989. I had joined one of those record clubs where you could choose ten albums for $1.99 and was lured in by those two magical words, "bonus tracks." Or maybe it was "alternate versions" but those words and that previously unknown concept sounded like heaven to me. I was floored at the idea of getting a half dozen extra tracks that couldn't be found on the vinyl and at that time, vinyl records were well on their way to nearing extinct status in record stores. I held out as long as I could but it was becoming obvious that I was going to have to give in to progress or do without new music in the 1990's forward. By then I had this compact disc in my possession for a month or two and those bonus tracks were taunting me with their very existence.

I had discovered "Trane" several years earlier through one of his records stumbled across at a flea market. I can't recall if I had some basic knowledge of his music at the time or if it was one of many chances taken over the years on a record that looked interesting even though I had no prior knowledge of what I would discover upon that first listen. I soon found in his music, a path to getting lost in contemplation. Upon getting hooked, a bonus discovery was that most Jazz musicians were far more prolific than the average rock or singer/songwriter variety of musician. For someone who struggled with anxiety while waiting for new releases from favorites, this was like discovering a gold mine. And here was John Coltrane with a existing sizeable cataloguie of music done over a relatively short amount of time before his passing away.

"Giant Steps" was another step in this process of discovery. Maybe his most easily listenable record but equally fascinating as the others. And did I mention that the compact disc has BONUS TRACKS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...