Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Late 60's Playlist

From the days of AM radio listening, often late at night while the rest of the family slept. When Top-40 radio was king. A few that I didn't especially care for back then but over the years, they grow on you and you realize how wrong you were in your youth. Wish that I had collected the 45's!!

  • The Boxtops - Cry Like a Baby .... Hated it back then. Love it today!!
  • Gary Puckett and The Union Gap - Young Girl
  • Phil Ochs - Outside of a Small Circle of Friends .... As a kid I didn't recognize the apathy described in the song.
  • Eric Burden and The Animals - San Francisco Nights
  • The Foundations - Baby Now That I've Found You .... What first comes to mind when I think music of the 1960's!!
  • Otis Redding - Sitting On the Dock of the Bay .... The radio DJ used to say by "the late great Otis Redding." I had to find out what "late" meant. 
  • The Guess Who - These Eyes .... The one that I always come back to!!
  • The Delfonics - La La Means I Love You
  • It's A Beautiful Day - White Bird
  • The Troggs - Love Is All Around
  • The Zombies - Time of the Season
  • Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman .... Funny how sometimes it takes many years and several cover versions before you realize how great a song is. 
  • The Beatles - You've Got to Hide Your Love Away .... Eddie Vedder covers it like it's his own song but he's still not The Beatles. 
  • Classics IV - Spooky

Many of the songs from this era cause a terrible yearning and nostalgic ache deep inside my soul. The songs of my youth. My true introduction to the pleasures of listening to music. Transitor radios. You knew that your favorite hit songs would be played every few hours. You'd wait with great anticipation to hear those favorites again. And when you occasionally hear one of those songs now, you feel chills throughout your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...