Friday, November 21, 2014

Now Hear This!!!

As I recall it was a ordinary weeknight evening. The voice on the other end of the phone told me to be quiet and listen. He proceeded to play songs that I had never heard before. New sounds and a great voice, grabbing my attention. The caller was a friend. It was the 1970's. Probably 1971 or 72. Our teenage years. Who was this that I was listening to?

This was my introduction to Cat Stevens and his, Tea For The Tillerman album. I drove to the record store and purchased it the next day. Over forty years have passed since that evening and it still excites just like it did upon that first listen. Each song could be the centerpiece!

I guess it speaks well for an album of songs when you keep waiting for the musician to match the effort with follow-up records and though each record for the next seven or eight years, until he eventually dropped from public view, contained a gem or two, nothing would come close to matching Tea For The Tillerman.

All Music Guide Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...