Monday, October 31, 2022

The Return of the Storyteller

Since the earliest days of my vinyl collecting life, I've been a huge fan of 'singer-songwriters.' So, I am excited to add another .....  'See Here, I Have Built You a Mansion: Rare and Unreleased Songs' by Josh Ritter. From 2020 on red marble vinyl. 

Original songs, original lyrics, stories to be told and heard. It's always best to hear the storyteller express his/her own thoughts and tales in their own unique voice and style. I've been so heavily into jazz the last three or four years that I've largely gotten away from the storytellers.

It always feels like a genre of the 1970's but there's still plenty of these voices around.

The highlight for me though, is a cover version of the Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits song, 'Brothers In Arms.' Backed by an organ and mandolin, it's absolutely beautiful and had me lifting the tonearm and moving it back to listen again, multiple times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...