Friday, December 4, 2020

Desert Island Albums

I could make a desert island album list every week and each might change slightly but would have most of these records listed most of the time. There's no way I can limit it to five or ten. Even twenty is a struggle .....
  • Neil Young - After the Goldrush
  • Keith Jarrett - Koln Concert .... Heard for the first time on late night FM-radio. Improvisational piano Jazz. My first Jazz album. Timeless.
  • Son Volt - Okemah and the Melody of Riot .... Discovered Son Volt before I discovered the band that they came out of, Uncle Tupelo.
  • Peter Gabriel - So
  • U2 - The Joshua Tree .... When it first came out (vinyl) I listened exclusively to the side that had the songs that received radio play. It wasn't until years later that I discovered the greatness of side two.
  • Jackson Browne - Late For the Sky ..... Eighteen years old. Freshman in college. Away from home for the first time and listening to this each day.
  • Bob Dylan - Blood On the Tracks .... Same as above. Got to know all these songs intimately. Terribly homesick and it helped to get me through that first year of college.
  • Bob Dylan - Slow Train Coming
  • Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman .... Early 1970's. The phone on the wall rang. I answered. A friend on the other end of the line told me to be quiet and listen. 
  • John Coltrane - Giant Steps .... The first CD that I purchased. Made the transition from vinyl to compact disc just a little easier and less stressful. Though I did find my way back to vinyl years later.
  • Pete Yorn - Musicforthemorningafter ...... That's the title. No spaces between the words.
  • Traveling Wilburys - Traveling Wilburys Volume 1
  • Warren Zevon - Warren Zevon .... Heard him in concert in Portland, 1976, opening for Jackson Browne and was hooked from the first song, 'Frank and Jessie James.'
  • Warren Zevon - Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School
  • Yo La Tengo - Fade
  • Tom Petty - Wildflowers
  • Guess Who - Wheatfield Soul
  • Bonnie Raitt - Home Plate
  • Little Feat - Under the Radar .... My old friend and Little Feat lover Mitch (RIP) always refused to listen to the post-Lowell George era recordings, I couldn't even get him to listen to this one. It's my favorite though.
  • John Hiatt - Slow Turning
  • The Feelies - Here Before
  • Portland Cello Project - Portland Cello Project
  • Donald Fagan - The Nightfly
  • Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
  • Neil Young - Harvest
I would just have to go down with the ship. I would never be able to swim to that desert island with all the albums that I struggle to choose from.
  • Jackson Browne - For Everyman
  • Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water ..... 'The Boxer' might be the greatest song ever written. They certainly don't write songs like this anymore.
  • Liz Story - Escape of the Circus Ponies ..... Solo piano stories without words. Very visual for me. 
  • Keith Jarrett - Changeless .... Hypnotic in spots. Beautiful throughout. Improvisational Jazz trio.
  • Colin Linden - Through the Storm, Through the Night
  • Sonny Landreth - Levee Town .... Slide guitar heaven!!!
  • Eugene Friesen - New Friend .... Turn out the lights and prepare to be taken places. Majestic cello!!
  • Joseph Arthur - Big City Secrets .... Put on the headphones at Borders one night ..... 
  • John Prine - Common sense .... Picked it up because I read that Jackson Browne was singing background vocals on a song. Discovered John Prine!!!
  • Jolene - In the Gloaming
  • Peter Himmelman - From Strength to Strength
When starting, this was supposed to be ten favorites. Though I knew I could never limit it to that. The list could easily be much longer than the above. Fifty years of listening and collecting tends to have that effect on a person. There's two choices: List everything or nothing!!!
  • The Wallflowers - Bringing Down the Horse
12/25/20 ...... And two very recent additions ......
  • The Bats - Foothills
  • Maggie Rogers - Notes From the Archive: Recordings 2011-2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...