Sunday, January 11, 2015

Making The Jazz Scene

A two compact disc compilation of late 1940's Jazz from various musicians ..... Studio recordings from Duke Ellington, Coleman Hawkins, Charlie Parker, Billy Strayhorn and much more. Included is a booklet with liner notes and black & white photoraphs of many of the musicians. This was originally a limited edition of 12-inch, 78-rpm vinyl discs and a collectors item in that format.

World War II had just ended. I don't know if they were into Jazz but I can visualize my parents in their youth, newly hopeful about their life ahead, listening to these sounds.

It's part of my own maturation process and interest in and appreciation of music history. Prior to ten years ago, I might not have given it a second look. Nowadays it's the sort of thing that I'm on the lookout for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...