Sunday, January 25, 2015

Could Have Been My Parents Playlist

Foggy outside. Dreading going to work in the morning. Late Sunday evening. The Music Choice cable TV audio theme channels. The Singers & Swing channel. Still developing an appreciation for the genre. I surely need more of these sounds in my collection. I love the mood created. I usually get overly nostalgic with music from my youth but these sounds are from times before I was born (assumedly) so I'm doing OK with it ......

  • Duke Ellington / Ivie Anderson - I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good
  • Pete Fountain - Avalon
  • Jack Teagarden - Beale Street Blues .... Read a Rolling Stone magazine, interview with Jackson Browne many years ago where he spoke of his father recording or playing live music with Jack Teagarden.
  • Jackie Gleason - Paddlin' Madelin' Home .... Learning something new. Until now I thought he was known only as an actor.
  • Glenn Miller - Tuxedo Junction .... Seem to recall seeing a few of his records in my parents collection.
  • The Leiber-Stroller Big Band - Kansas City
  • Teddy Wilson / Frances Hunt - You Brought a New Kind of Love To Me
  • Billy May - There Is No Greater Love
  • Count Basie - Blues In Hoss' Flat
  • Django Reinhardt / Stephane Grappelli - St. Louis Blues .... Recognized the players immediately without looking at the caption on the television screen. 
  • Helen Forrest with Harry James - Mister Five By Five .... From 1942. I'm fascinated with the sounds that came out during World War II. Wondering what they meant at the time to a nation?
  • Sy Oliver - Oh, Them Golden Slippers
  • Kay Kyser / Sully Martin - Ma (He's Makin' Eyes At Me)
  • Andy Kirk - Bear Down
  • Louis Prima / Keely Smith - That Old Black Magic
  • Peggy Lee - Why Don't You Do Right .... Fascinated by the lyrics of the songs with vocals. It's like looking into history at decades and generations of peoples attitudes and what music meant to them.
  • Billie Holiday - East Of the Sun .... Heard enough in the past to recognize this voice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...