Friday, January 2, 2015

Friday Evening Reflections

Solo acoustic guitar mastery from William Ackerman. His first album from 1976 on the label he founded, Windham Hill Records. The album's title is, The Search For the Turtle's Navel." 

The label started out with releasing solo acoustic guitar and piano recordings along with some beautiful and reflective photography for the album covers. Ackerman, Alex DeGrassi, Scott Cossu, George Winston, Michael Hedges and a few others, I would look forward to each new release with great anticipation. Eventually there were duet and then ensemble recordings. Other similar labels appeared. Maybe too many, too quickly. By the late 1980's there were a few releases of recordings with "new age" and spacey leanings. The solo acoustic (with no lyrics) and acoustic duet genre that I loved so much was changing and not for the better in my estimation. But there was still that 10-plus year period though where some of my favorite sounds came from. You could possibly say that John Fahey and Leo Kottke explored this musical ground several years earlier but for me the first ten years of Windham Hill were different and special. I still mourn what I identified as its demise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...