Wednesday, January 28, 2015

In The Gloaming

One of the great albums to come out of the 1990's is Jolene's, In The Gloaming. Labeled as Alternative Country or Americana, it's just a great Rock record.

Usually not a issue with my favorite records, I don't recall now how that I first became aware of it. Maybe from one of several magazines at the time that would release music sampler discs with each new issue? Maybe something heard on the radio or a random online video? Possibly on a listening station at Borders? Maybe just a chance taken? (I've certainly  been guilty of taking chances on unknown music more than once.)

The record is strong throughout. No filler material found here. Ringing guitars, yearning, emotional vocals and great songwriting!! It's one of my Desert Island Discs. A classic in my estimation!!

The band released three or four additional records before seemingly fading from the radar. If you google Jolene, you'll likely get a ton of results for Dolly Parton's song of the same name.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...