Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Vega Trails

I noted here a few days ago that I had been listening to a band called, Mammal Hands. That find has led to the discovery of several other bands exploring different jazz directions ..... Robohands, Ghost Funk Orchestra, Phi-Psonics and the recording that I've been obsessed with for the past week, "Tremors In the Static' by Vega Trails.

Their only recording to this point. A trio featuring double-bass and saxophone. From 2022 on Gondwana Records, which is proving to be another record label loaded with extremely top quality recordings.

If I trace the entire lineage of this path, it started a year or two ago with (radio) channel surfing while driving home one afternoon and stumbling across an interview with members of Gogo Penguin, which eventually led to discovering, Portico Quartet and then all the others mentioned here. Each band foreign to me prior to that fruitful drive home from wherever.

And here I am, with this record by Vega Trails receiving daily listens for the past week. 

..... And hoping they're preparing to release another.  

Sidenote: The problem with getting this new 600-ish page book titled: 'Mixing Up the Medicine,' full of essays and photos on Bob Dylan, is that I don't know where to start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...