Saturday, November 11, 2023

Friday Playlist

I have no reason for ......  or a common unifying theme regarding this playlist other than these songs are in my head lately, likely for historical significance in my world.
  • Branford Marsallis - The Peacocks .... I've had this song title in my head for three or four days. I don't know why. I remember it from a cassette that I own .... the title not the actual song. It's been recorded by others, but this is who I associate it with.
  • Jackson Browne - Rock Me On the Water .... A twitter friend asked people to name a perfect album that was released the year you turned sixteen. This was his first and my introduction to JB's music that would come to mean so much to me through the 1970's, 80's and 90's.
  • Neil Young - Out On the Weekend .... Another that's been bouncing around my head for a few days and from another perfect album released the year the I turned sixteen. I recall hearing it once in a movie theater .... from a mix of songs played before the coming attractions. I always though I had a decent stereo setup at home but hearing it that day on the theater sound system was a total knockout.
  • Neil Young - Like a Hurricane ..... "I am just a dreamer, and you are just a dream. You could have been anyone to me."
  • Son Volt - Drown ..... I was in the new local Barnes & Noble that open up last week and noticed that they had three Wilco vinyl records for sale. But no Son Volt. And in my humble opinion, Son Volt is the stronger band that emerged from the Uncle Tupelo breakup. And I don't care about anyone else's contrary opinion.
  • Willard Grant Conspiracy - How to Get to Heaven ..... I just noticed that there is now the complete song on YouTube. For years there's been nothing but a 20-some second snippet. 
  • Poco - Good Feeling to Know .... Introduced to this song by the older brother of a friend. I listen now and hear so much of the classic Eagles harmonizing sounds. But Poco came first.
  • Danny O'Keefe - Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues .... Heard on the radio a week ago and it's been playing in my mind since.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...