Sunday, November 12, 2023

The Search

Just a few notes on the eternally ongoing search for (mostly vinyl) music ....
  • KEEP THEM UP HIGH!! If you, the seller, wishing to make $$$, place your records in a crate, on the floor of an antique shop, thrift store, record store, etc. .....  I'm most likely not going to waste my time bending over, putting stress on my already stressed-out knees and back and attempting to read titles that are too far away from my ability to focus with my near-sighted vision. So, unless there's the unmistakable mint condition, holy grail that I've been seeking for my lifetime sitting on top, there's a good chance that I won't be flipping through that crate.
  • Just a pet peeve of mine ..... Attention twenty and thirty-somethings. "Vinyl" is both the singular and plural. I don't know or care if it's acceptable in a game of scrabble, but 'vinyls' is not a valid word. 
  • I'm a huge fan of cover art. So, don't let your dog or cat chew on the spines of your record covers and then expect to slap a premium asking price on it when you decide to sell later in life. And the spines are as valued by me as the face.
  • I prefer maintained and managed clutter over extreme organization in places selling records. (Though a little organization is appreciated.) With clutter there is always the accompanying mystery of what you might find. 
  • A freebie now and then keeps me coming back for more. I know one guy who when I'm checking out, if I have four or five $10-$20 records, he'll peel the price sticker off the $5 record and say: "No tag, no charge."  The world needs more people like this. Purveyors of kindness.
  • Keep the "greatest hits" records to a minimum. If I'm a fan of a particular musician, I want all the songs. And eventually when I need even more, I'm going to want the alternate takes. false starts, b-sides, demos and outtakes too. The greatest hits are fine for the casual fan but for those of us who might drop into your shop on weekly whims, we want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...