Monday, April 10, 2023

Jazz Playlist

A jazz playlist. What you might hear if I had my own late night, radio program. 

For this rainy evening session, a heavy emphasis on contemporary jazz or new jazz directions. 
  • Ambrose Akinmusire - Piano Sketch (Beyond Enclosure)
  • Wolfgang Muthspiel - Triad Song
  • Thomas Stronen - Time Is a Blind Guide
  • Christian Scott - The Eraser
  • Makaya McCraven - The Fifth Monk / Universal Beings
  • Eri Yamamoto Trio - Wonder Land
  • Matthew Halsall - Music for a Dancing Mind / Song for Charlie ..... Trumpet player from England. He's become my favorite. He's the reason that I've been engaged lately in a trumpet obsession. He started it.
  • Colin Vallon - Cendre
I do not pretend to know much about any of this music. I do though, find my senses and emotions responding in ways I can't describe, to these sounds. And I've felt for quite a few years that jazz has the most interesting song titles, inviting a closer listen.
  • Jacob Young - Minor Peace
  • Gabor Szabo - Fire Dance ..... An oldie but goodie. From 1968.
  • John Abercrombie - Excuse My Shoes
  • Lisa Hilton - Adventures and Alibis
  • Danny Green Trio - Katabasis ..... My first thought was: "The basketball player?" 😉
Several of these choices are recordings from the ECM Records label. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...