Sunday, January 1, 2023

The New OK

From 2020 and on compact disc. 'The New OK' by Drive-By Truckers.'

Written (I assume) and recorded just as the covid pandemic and riots were initially spreading and clamping down across the country. Sometimes, upon reflection, those days and memories feel like decades ago.

I've been a fan for years. First heard their sound when Jason Isbell was still in the band. Later I became hooked to their song, 'Zip City.' ..... Rock, Americana, Southern Rock, whatever you want to call their music.

Highlights on this recording are, 'Sarah's Flame' and 'Watching the Orange Clouds.'

There's a line in Watching the Orange Clouds .... "Across the Burnside Bridge there's heads getting bashed and teargas. Boys too stupid to really be proud." .... About the 2020 riots in Portland, Oregon, I assume. Patterson Hood from the band, moved to Portland years ago. I've driven across the Burnside Bridge dozens of times in my lifetime. I can visualize clearly, what and where he was singing of and trying to express here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...