Sunday, January 17, 2021

David Poe

A self-titled album from David Poe. From 1997.

The record store owner asked me if I was familiar with the musician .... "Well no, I'm just taking a wild chance." (Certainly not a first for me.) "I'll tell you what" he said, "I'll take two dollars off the price and if you don't like it you can bring it back. I don't like for anyone to be stuck with music that they don't like."

I guess I won't have to take him up on that offer because I like it!! Quite a bit. I was initially drawn in by the artwork on the back of the album. Another hint was that it's produced by T Bone Burnett. The songs don't always go in the direction that I'm anticipating but that's certainly not a criticism. 

If you have expectations or hopes of being rocked out, well perhaps you've come to the wrong place.

A few found, written words about this album: ".... in this record that is at times exuberant but more often hushed .... '

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...