Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Dollar Vinyl Record Bin

I can't help it. No matter how hard I try to kick the habit, I'm always searching for sounds. Especially for new old sounds. Those black platters call me back again and again. The dollar vinyl bargain bin has been good to me of late. Occasional gems and surprises are unearthed. Titles that maybe hadn't been on my radar or watch list but that immediately strike a chord or emotion upon unexpected discovery. Found this evening:

  • Dick Gregory - In Living Black and White (1961) ..... Comedy / Spoken Word
  • Jimmy Webb - Words and Music (1970)
  • The Sandpiper Movie Soundtrack (1965) ..... Not so well known Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor movie. Charles Bronson is in it as well.

Historical documents. Part of the era where I grew up. Looking back, it's become a fascinating time for me. Too young during much of those days to have much knowledge of the world. I first saw The Sandpiper late one night, probably in the later 1970's or early 1980's. The perfect late night movie! The themes and the feel of the movie caught my attention .... The California beach lifestyle, an artist community, being unfaithful in marriage, changing seasons. And it's theme song: "The Shadow of Your Smile" ..... haunting, yearning, unrealized love, a tinge of sadness. Familiar emotions.

I'm always interested in words, thoughts, expressions and attitudes from years long ago and how they've changed since. Towards that concept, the Dick Gregory record is a must have!! If nothing else, just simply to hear a voice from 55 years ago and what people found amusing in those days ..... the messages they wanted to share.

And Jimmy Webb ..... One of the alltime greatest songwriters!! He wrote two of my favorites ....  "Wichita Lineman," and "The Highwayman." And so many others.



It's funny but a day or two after posting this, the movie, The Sandpiper, (which is not often on television) was on Turner Classic Movies cable channel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Midwest Gospel Radio

  Heard tonight for the first time and it's been on repeat since. 'Midwest Gospel Radio' by Yonder Mountain String Band.  A shor...