Sunday, December 24, 2017

So Many Roads

Another recent vinyl find! John Hammond's, "So Many Roads" from 1965. The Blues!

There's three members of the future group, The Band, playing with him. Listed in the album credits as Jaime Robertson (Robbie), Mark Helm (Levon) and Eric Hudson (Garth).

Here's some of the other sounds that were going on in the mid-60"s while The Beatles were starting out with their thing ..... Maybe not what John Hammond had in mind but an appropriate album title when you consider the different styles being played at the time .... British Invasion, R&B, Folk, The Blues, etc ....

Loving most things history, I feel wonder and amazement at all these sounds and recordings from forty or fifty years ago and grateful that they didn't get lost over time. There's so much that I never paid attention to or was exposed to while growing up during those years. 1960's Blues-Rock wasn't something you heard much of on the radio back then. Not even on the few FM stations that were starting up. And FM was the place where you could hear different sounds besides the "Top-40" that was being played on AM.
_______________________________________________________________________


I think it was 1968. (Actually 1967). I was eleven years old. I heard "Outside Of a Small Circle of Friends" played on the radio. It became a favorite of mine. I'd wait an hour or two just to hear it played again. I have this image burned into memory of sitting in the kitchen late at night and hearing it on the radio. (It must not have been a school night.) I don't recall how high it went on the charts but it received airplay for several weeks.

It was different from what we were mostly hearing. Where did this come from? Phil Ochs? ... I had never heard of him. No idea of his history but indeed he had a music history at that point. One of those songs that sounded upbeat and happy but if you listened to the lyrics .... about a woman being mugged and murdered and the apathy of her neighbors it was anything but cheery.

Many years later, likely in the 1980's, I found the album it was on. Folk Music with songs like "Miranda" and "Flower Lady." I didn't think the record to be like Bob Dylan or other Folk musicians of the time. It was a different style of Folk that I've always loved and that I've since heard in the recordings of people like Tim Buckley, Steve Noonan and the Terry Callier record previously noted here.

Wikipedia - Outside Of a Small Circle of Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...