Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Arches and Aisles or The Other Guy

The Spinanes – Arches and Aisles

Every decade has it’s discoveries. Looking back, the 1990’s seems a particularly interesting and fruitful time. There was a Saturday late night music video program on a local television channel called, “The Other Guy.” For a half hour (or maybe an hour) they would play an assortment of videos that you would likely see nowhere else. Often there would be live performances recorded in their studio by musicians passing through Portland. Sometimes there would be short comedy skits involving two or three regular characters (one being, “The Other Guy”) as they faded to or returned from commercials. Occasionally a local artist or band would be featured. It was the type of television programming that I wish we had today. Especially from the local channels.

Sadly these days, all that remains of the program in my music collection is a live studio video of Jonatha Brooke introducing and performing her song, "Inconsolable."

It was on one of these late night visual fests that I first saw The Spinanes. A Portland band (If memory serves) made up primarily of a female guitar player/lead vocalist, Rebecca Gates, and a drummer, Scott Plouf. Their songs likely would fit into the Indie Rock genre. Maybe similar to Yo La Tengo minus the fuzzy, distorted guitar sound they sometimes employ. A stripped down sound with the ringing guitar and minimal drumming ….. there was drumming but not excessive and overpowering. And then some great songs.

Wikipedia - The Spinanes
________________________________________________________________

And some words I found about ...... The Other Guy .......
"I loved watching "the Other Guy" with its skits and live music of new artists and Bohemia Afterdark with it's music and skits as well."

And a reply from The actual Other Guy .........
The Other Guy Lives!
by: Bobby Castaneda - The Other Guy

When I tell my work colleagues that I produced and hosted a music show in Portland for 10 years, they do not believe me. I worked at Fox and started The Other Guy as a labor of love in honor of local/regional artists who were most excellent but not getting any airplay. I figured "Heck, I work in television! I can put them on the air! There's MTV and VH1, so I will just be the alternative to top 40 - The Other Guy!" If I had any idea how much work it would become to do it well, I likely would not have done it at all. But that is the beauty and power of naivete. The show gained national attention and before long, record labels were vying to get their artists to perform live on the show - several of which were Grammy award winners (Sheryl Crow, Duncan Sheik, Taj Mahal, Soundgarden and more). I admit the host segments were goofy, but in the spirit of my original intent, my drive was to always air under-appreciated artists that were innovative and exceptional - no matter the genre. Producing that show kept me in the industry 10 years longer than I should have (broadcast television is not a spiritually/ethically healthy industry), but every time someone took the time to write to the show or approach me on the street to tell me how much they enjoyed the show, I knew it was all worth it. I am currently working in the energy efficiency industry, which I love and living in Kansas City, which is surprisingly hip and rife with an amazing music scene. I will be returning home to Portland this fall. Thank you for taking the time to mention the show. I have all the original shows and hope to someday slow down long enough to put some of them on YouTube, as often requested. Before I go, I want to take a moment to thank all those such as yourself who watched the show every week, and for taking the time to let me know that it mattered. Take care and I will see you on the streets of Puddletown. Hopefully some will recognize me. Even though my hair is silver and I no longer have the Kramer do, I still have the hipster sideburns...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...