Thursday, July 9, 2015

Thursday Evening in July Listening Pleasure

What I'm listening to tonight .....

  • The Eagles - King of Hollywood .... 1979. I had just bought a new turntable. The Eagles had just released their "The Long Run" album. I used to wait anxiously for those moments where I was home alone and play their song, King Of Hollywood with the volume waaaaaayyyyyy up high. Doing the exact same thing right now. Desert Island song selection for me. 
  • Steely Dan - Rikki Don't Lose That Number .... The song that more than any other, reminds me of high school even though it hadn't been released yet. I don't know why. There's something embedded in its melody that I associate with 1974.
  • Craig Fuller and Rusty Young - Night Train To New Orleans
  • Neil Diamond - Mr. Bojangles .... Just found a copy on vinyl of the album this is on replacing my old scratched original copy. It may have been the first album that I actually owned and it remains one of my favorites 45 years later. I've also just read the chapter in Todd Sniders book about his friendship with Jerry Jeff Walker who wrote this song. There's a story about their walking around New Orleans and coming across a street musician who was playing the song and who had no idea that the songwriter was standing there listening to him. 
  • Poco - It's A Good Feeling To Know .... From the years (early 70's) when I truly became interested in albums instead of primarily the radio hits. A friend had this album and that was my introdution to the Poco sound.
  • Craig Fuller & Eric Kaz - Feel That Way Again .... I assumed for years that I was the only person in the world who owned this record. Finding more and more people lately who have shattered my erroneous assumption.
  • Eric Burdon - Water
  • Crosby, Stills and Nash - Wooden Ships .... I was watching this DVD titled, "Under The Covers" about the stories behind the artwork on several records from the early 1970's and Wooden Ships was among the music used. It was suddenly like I was hearing the song for the first time in 35 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...