Sunday, July 5, 2015

My Personal Vinyl Addiction

This could be me ..... If I won the lottery. While I think that I have a large collection compared to most people, it's not quite at this level. Though the search would be a great adventure!!

It's a strange process. I purchase a few records, get them home, then a few days later start feeling the urge to look for more. Not only for the listening pleasure but also for the visual pleasures of each. The album covers, front and back. The artwork, the liner notes, the names, etc. It's history!!!

It's funny how it all evolved. I went from twenty years of vinyl and resisting every urge in the 1980's to switch to compact discs, to eventually accepting the inevitible compact disc trend, as vinyl was disappearing from record shops. The lure of 'bonus tracks' on the CD was the final selling point in my mind. For the next twenty years it was almost exclusively the CD. I'd pick up a rare vinyl record of interest that I came across along the way but they were few and far between. Then about five years ago, vinyl started to take off again. Inventory in the record shops began to expand. It helped that my local record shop cared about quality. Not only of the record itself but of the album covers. Their selections were in good shape, not scratched, wrinkled, tattered and torn.

Now I'm probably at a 60% vinyl (mostly used but in good shape) and 40% compact disc rate. Maybe closer to 50/50? I do feel a little sense of disapoinment when I go with the CD. Like I should have searched harder for the vinyl.

A couple of friends attempted to convince me at one time, to give up my collection. They failed in their goal. I thought that they might resort to gathering a dozen mutual friends and trying an intervention. It wouldn't have been pleasant.

Will I ever listen to each of my records? I'd like to but have to admit, probably not. But I will gaze at those album covers and titles on the spines. I will treasure some of the more unknown and obscure names in my collection. I will feel excitement at the thought of what I might find tomorrow. I will feel anticipation as I drive down the street approaching each search possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...