Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Playlist


Just a few for the occasion. Time for some new seasonal standards! These are much preferred over the traditional sounds that you hear no matter where you go ......

  • Bruce Cockburn - Mary Had A Baby
  • Sufjan Stevens - That Was The Worst Christmas Ever
  • The Band - Christmas Must Be Tonight
  • Stan Rogers - First Christmas
  • Bruce Cockburn - The Cry of a Tiny Babe
  • Harry Nilsson - Remember (Christmas)
  • Steve Earle & The Dukes - Christmas In Washington
  • Ry Cooder - Christmas Time This Year
  • Sufjan Stevens - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
  • Loudon Wainwright III - Suddenly It's Christmas
  • John Fahey - The New Possibilty (the entire album)
___________________________________________________________

And speaking of the need for new standards, My most disliked seasonal song playlist. You'll never see me out caroling if these tunes are part of the program. Includes pretty much all the secular classics. I've long wanted to express my opinion on this and have held back for fear of being accused of being a scrooge and of ruining someone's day. Here's my chance to speak my mind ......

  • I'll Be Home For Christmas ..... Forget the lyrics. The single most depressing melody in the history of music. Not negotiable and without hesitation, it tops my list.
  • Jingle Bells
  • Jingle Bell Rock
  • Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
  • Silver Bells ..... Close second for most depressing melody.
  • I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
  • Frosty the Snowman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...