Sunday, September 11, 2022

Beauty Within

A Sunday, late afternoon - early evening find on compact disc. 

Edward Simon Group - 'Beauty Within'

And to think that just a few minutes earlier, there was a debate raging inside my head whether to stop and go into the record shop.

It's from 1994. A piano-jazz trio with trumpet added on three of the nine songs. 

Eight of the nine songs are original compositions. That was huge in deciding to take a chance. I don't care to hear albums full of cover tunes. I want to hear new voices doing new things!! 

The album review at All Music Guide mentions a Chick Corea influence and it's definitely heard through-out. 

The shop owner asked if I had heard of this artist before. "Well no, just taking a chance."  ..... "Ok I'll take two dollars off the price and if you don't enjoy it, bring it back for a 75% credit towards something else." .....  It doesn't appear that I'll be taking him up on that offer. It's a keeper for the collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...