Monday, June 18, 2018

Country Joe & The Fish

Found this past weekend while rummaging through the used vinyl bins, "new arrivals," of my local record store. Psychedelic-Country-Folk sounds from the 1960's. (That's a style?) A genre/era that I'd like to expand in my collection.

People actually give this kind of classic and historic stuff up? There should be a voice in their head that tells them not to let it go.

Maybe it has special meaning to me because I lived through those years? Listening mostly though to the top-40 hits on AM-radio. Now at age 62 I find myself catching up with sounds I missed out on back then.

I did have a record collecting mentor in the early 70's that introduced me to Country Joe McDonald and specifically "The Fish Cheer" through the Woodstock Records. Rod Robinson, the older brother of one of my friends. I wonder what he used to think of me, this naive and goofy looking kid who he had three or four years of life and music listening experience on. I was like an attentive student eager to take in whatever he was willing to play for me. Eric Burden and The Animals, The Guess Who, Neil Young, Iron Butterfly, The Beatles and their later albums, Creedence, CSNY and much more. New sounds for me. A new type of education. Those memories have always stayed close. He also introduced me to FM-radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leo Kottke

Leo Kottke - 12 String Blues: Live at the Scholar Coffeehouse. On the Oblivion Recording Company label. From 1969. Found today at my old rec...